Friday, January 23, 2009

Happiness


We arrived in Yola Thursday afternoon, after a short flight from Abuja. This is a short video I took of the drive from the airport into Yola. You can hear Tia talking about seeing the Top View Pool bar band the night before in Abuja. She was quite moved by the happiness of the lead singer. I find it interesting that there is a national pride in happiness here - I read somewhere before I came that in a recent survey they discovered that Nigerians were the happiest people on earth-many of the welcome signs at the airport in Abuja had huge headlines that seemed to advertise that Happiness is a big aspect of being Nigerian- and on my recent trip to the Philippines we stayed on an island called Kalipay, which means, you guessed it- Happiness. So I am taking cue from that that the universe is trying to tell me something- and I have made it my new years resolution to live happier, and to try and promote happiness amongst my friends and neighbors. Even amidst adversity we may find true happiness within ourselves. I have seen many beautiful smiles since our arrival, and many people do seem genuinely happy. We were greeted at the airport here in Yola by Betsy, who works for AUN, and whom Tia has credited with being a main reason for actually taking the job here. Upon meeting her I could see why, as she is very upbeat and fun, very easygoing with a great sense of humor and also very happy to be here. It seems that she will be a great ally for Tia during her stay here in Yola. We have begun to meet some of the other faculty here at the University, and it seems to me that Tia will fit in well, I am happy to say.

3 comments:

  1. Great video from your morning ride Ezra. So many scooters/mopeds/motorbikes passing by. I enjoy the idea of the Nigerians being the happiest people on the earth. At the same moment I can't help but think of eastern teaching that happiness as well as sadness may be transient. The inherent nature of emotion is caught up in time itself. Something that living in this moment might elevate us from. Eckart Tolle writes, "This too shall pass."

    However, Tolle also states, "life always reflects back to you your predominant state of consciousness." I don't think these are contradictory statements... do you? Perhaps it is the essence of the Nigerians that stands out, like fragrance to a unique flower? They seem to exude happiness from what you write. Their predominate state of consciousness seems to be one of Joy. This would explain their essence. Consciousness is not fleeting.

    It All sounds and looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you should mention time, as A local man came into the store the other day as I was buying eggs, and he made the proclamation that "we Nigerians do not believe in time". I have been thinking very much lately about the nature of time, and existing in the present. I read recently also that in khazakstan the nomads do not have a past or future tense in their language. Rather than saying "I was born" they say "I am born". I do find that a most beautiful mode of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Ezra... "we Nigerians do not believe in time." And great as you were buying eggs (the whole "which came first...?" paradox is entwined in Time). Tolle has said that when we say we "believe" in something, what we are saying is that deep down we fear it may not be true. For years I have contemplated Time as well. It wasn't until somewhat recently that I realized that to transcend Time we have to die to what we know (the past) and what we wish to become (the future) and just be here in this eternal moment. Open to it All. I think the nomads have it down too, "I am born." Every moment is new. That really is beautiful. Krishnamurti says that "presence" is "meditation."

    ReplyDelete